Sunday, June 17, 2007

oliver sain.STLOUIS part 1


i grew up in St.louis. definately not the cultural mecca of the universe, but before nelly and the invasion of STL rappers our town was fucking rich in innovative music. Chuck Berry, Ike and Tina, Miles Davis, and Fontella Bass to name a few. One name that goes under the radar was a main by the name of Oliver Sain. People with funk crates know the st.louis breakdown, but he had a wealth of ..-

Delivering pizzas was my teenage occupation, so naturally i listened to alot of music. A community station in st.louis called KDHX played the most amazing variety of music. Tom Papa Ray, Doug Morgan, and the hip hop show called the science definately shaped me into a more diverse music listener. I can't recall if it was tom or doug that got me hipped to Oliver Sain, but im glad that went down.

Oliver was kind of the guy around town in the day, he was an amazing sax player and discovered and produced alot of local artists at his Archway Studios. Puffy sampled him, and I think Jay-E was working with him before he passed.

Oliver Died in 2003, but before that he did every thursday at a club called BB's downtown. I was fortunate enough to see him about 2-3 times. If you are interested in reading a pretty dope interview with him go HERE

Dropping 2 tracks. from a 45 on Abet records. enjoy!

Feel Like Dancin'-(zshare)

B-oogie-(zshare)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger jackie said...

I too was lucky enough to see the Oliver Sain Revue play at Gas Light Square in the 60's---when I was in high school!! He was fantastic! your mom!!!

June 21, 2007 at 5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing some dope music with me again. We met at bamboozle left at cal poly pomona. you may not remember....but you gave me some dilla and a bunch of other music. i shall be visiting this frequently. peace.

June 24, 2007 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger ecd82 said...

Dopeness Nick!

June 24, 2007 at 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter